A bit of history of our old village Bettona
The city has Etruscan origins, the only one on the eastern bank of the Tiber; the inhabitants of Bettona are mentioned in Pliny, NH III.114 (Vettonenses), and in other ancient authors and inscriptions.
In the period when Umbria fell under Roman control, Bettona was elected a municipality (Vettona) and became part of the Clusturmina and Lemonia colonies.
In the war between Augustus and Marcantonio, the city sided with the latter, suffering a serious defeat. With the advent of Christianity, Bettona, located along the Via Amerina, one of the most important communication routes to the North, was soon evangelized by the pastor S. Crispolto.
During the barbarian invasions, Bettona also began a rapid decline. It passed under the Byzantine dominion and later to the Duchy of Spoleto. Free commune since the twelfth century, it first submitted to Assisi. In 1352 following the conquest by Perugia, the city (except for the churches) was burned and demolished, 157 local notables were taken prisoners to Perugia and with them the body of S. Crispolto.
In 1367 Cardinal Egidio Albornoz ordered that the city be rebuilt in a smaller circle of walls than the previous one, but much more fortified. In 1371 Bettona got the body of her patron saint and martyr back. Bettona passed under the Lordship of the Trinci di Foligno, from 1389 to 1425, the year in which it was granted by the Pope to the Baglioni of Perugia. From 1648 Bettona returned to be a possession of the Papal State and remained there until national unification.